Events with Food
From Midwinter 2011
- Residency Interest Group Dinner, 7-9pm at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza, 770 Fourth Avenue, San Diego, CA (telephone: 619-230-8888). Join us for an informal dinner get together for library residents, new librarians and those interested in residency programs. For more information about the Residency Interest Group, check out our blog . Contact Hannah Lee if you have any questions and if you are planning to attend.
- It’s a Not so Silent Auction! from 8 to 10PM, location TBD. Hosted by YALSA's Financial Advancement Committee, everyone is welcome to attend this free, informal event which includes refreshments and a cash bar. Be the first person to try the YALSAtini! All proceeds will go to support the Friends of YALSA. To see what items are available for bidding, or to donate something yourself, access the 2011 Silent Auction Sign-up Sheet. See photos of items we'll have for bid at YALSA's Flickr page. If you have any questions, please contact the committee chair, Pam Spencer Holley. YALSA is also collecting dessert recipes until Sept. 30 for a cookbook to be auctioned off. Download the Cookbook Submission Template and contact Amy Alessio with any questions!
- ALA Emerging Leaders Meet & Chill night, 8pm-2am, Whiskey Girl, 600 5th Avenue. ALL are invited. More info/facebook rsvp here.
- NMRT Midwinter Social, 5:30 - 7:30pm. Join us for an evening of sweet treats and networking. The social is open to all NMRT members and those interested in learning more about NRMT. The social will be held at the Borders  in the Gaslamp District located at 668 6th Avenue. We hope to see you there!
- RUSA Membership Social, 6 to 8pm. The social is one of many RUSA activities at the Midwinter Meeting in San Diego, and is open to all current RUSA members, friends of RUSA and those meeting attendees interested in learning more about the association and networking with peers. RUSA leadership and longtime members will be on hand to answer questions about ways to get involved with the division, which serves a broad range of library professionals, including reference and business reference librarians, as well as those in the fields of collection development, readers advisory, genealogy, bibliography, historical reference, resource sharing and computer-based reference, among others. Location: HIL-Elevation.
- GLBTRT Social, 6 to 8pm. Location: TBD
- ASCLA/COSLA Reception, 8 to 10pm. Location GRAND-Manchester C. A dessert reception open to all conference participants. The reception is the place to be on Sunday for networking opportunities, with leaders in librarianship. The 2011 ASCLA awards will be presented at 8:30pm.
- RUSA Book and Media Awards Reception, 4 to 5:30pm. Location: GRAND-Manchester C. All ALA Midwinter Meeting attendees are invited to celebrate the winners of numerous awards—including the Notable Books selections and The Reading List—at the Reference and User Services Association’s (RUSA) upcoming Book and Media Awards Reception at the Midwinter Meeting in San Diego. In addition to The Reading List and Notable Book selections—lists that are used by readers advisory librarians nationwide—winners will also be announced for the Dartmouth Medal, the Sophie Brody Medal, the Zora Neale Hurston Award, the Louis Shores/ABC-CLIO Award and other professional resource lists, including Outstanding Reference Sources, Outstanding Business Reference Sources and Best Business Websites. The literary winners announced at this event will shape the author lineup for the Literary Tastes Breakfast at ALA’s 2011 Annual Conference in XXX Attendees at this ticketed event enjoy a delicious reception while listening to author readings. Immediately following, authors will be available for book signings and further discussion of their work. Event registration at www.ala.org/annual, and Annual Conference registration is not required in order to purchase a ticket.
- YALSA's Nonfiction and Morris Award Reception, 7:30 to 10 p.m., location TBD. Come to this free event and help YALSA celebrate the 2011 honorees and winners for the Morris Award and YA Nonfiction Award! Cash bar and light hors d'oeuvres from 7:30 to 8:00. From 8:00 to 9:30 finalists are invited to speak about their honored titles. Mingle with the authors and enjoy more refreshments from 9:30 to 10:00. The Morris finalists and Nonfiction finalists will be announced the first week of December.